2.05.2009

Gas station experiences, Volume I

So...I stopped to get gas this morning (way earlier than any human should have to be awake enough to pump toxic fluids into an overpriced machine) and was surprised to find, on top of the gas pump, a television. Yes, at the Chevron near my house there are TV's on top of the gas pumps...and they were displaying 'magic pictures' for all the early birds to view.
When I started to drive again, I wondered this: Did the advertising moguls of the country sit down one day to decide on how they can get people to watch more TV (therefore, having to view their ads) and someone said 'Hey-I know where people have some idle time that they generally can't watch TV! While pumping gas!' (Because we have TV's in our cars, on our phones, in the grocery store check-out lines, in restaurants/bars, on airplanes, streaming abilities on our computers, the breakrooms of the nations businesses, coffee shops, in Times Square, etc, etc)...

So...here we are.
Watching TV while pumping gas.
Because (*insert sarcastic tone here*) Americans need to watch more TV.
And because in the 4 minutes it took to fill up my car, I was able to see a commercial for the DTV changover, one for the TV show 'The Eleventh Hour' and some Nascar highlights.

Yep.

And now I'm going to buy a bigger screen TV and find out what time The Eleventh Hour is on because...for some reason, I really, REALLY need to see it now. Funny how that works.

2 comments:

MGD said...

Nascar highlights!!! sweet, I'm totally going to that station. It will motivate me to drive super fast after I'm done filling up. Then when I get in a wreck, I can sue the station.

Seattle Freeze said...

Spoken like a true American. :)