2.12.2009

May I have this dance?

Last night I went salsa dancing (at Babalu) for the first time. I was hesitant when asked to go because I remember my days as a cheerleader-I am NOT coordinated and lack any sort of grace that might be needed for dance. Balance-challenged, if you may. But, my friend, M, assured me that I'd be fine, he'd show me and that the people were accepting. Easy for him to say, he's Brazilian...with rhythm. So I went...and, surprisingly, didn't suck...much.

Some things I learned:

-White guys have no rhythm...but (bless them) they try...hard.
-American girls do NOT have the hips to salsa dance. Even if you have hips (like me), it doesn't mean you use them correctly.
-Salsa is a great workout! First, the songs are anywhere from 8-15 minutes long and there is so much leg/hip/arm action-how could you not feel like you've just run around Greenlake when you are done?
-You can go dancing by yourself! Lots of people do.
-Salsa is not a Brazilian dance (even though everyone thinks it is), it's Cuban, as is the Cha Cha Cha. The tango is Argentinian and the Samba is Brazilian.
-A guy who can (actually) dance is...HOT!

But...I guess I already knew the last one. ;)

Anyway...after M gave me a crash course in the basic moves, I was ready to dance! Somewhat...

I'll expand on my comment above about going dancing by yourself: After people-watching for a bit I realized that there were many people that came alone! More guys than girls-which was really surprising! So, if you're a girl and you go to a salsa club-DO NOT make eye contact unless you want to be asked to dance...

I learned that the hard way...

Thank you to the long-haired Cuban guy who asked me to dance and promised to 'take it slow'. It was pretty great. :)

Ok-my bitchy side for a moment: To the girl who glared at me when I walked in the door, I know I 'don't belong' as I'm not a 'regular' but I was there with one and just because the guy you were talking to gave me the 'long glance' doesn't mean I was going to try to steal him away. I can't help it if you can't keep his attention. But...I'll tell you what I can do for you-I can help you with the gel to hair ratio you're having some trouble with. I'll give you this though-you are an awesome dancer.

Ok...done.

During people-watching time I noticed this couple that had each come alone. Shortly after the music started, the guy asked the girl to dance (yes, girls...there is hope-it DOES happen!). He was tall and awkward but not unfortunate-looking and the girl was somewhat on the pretty side-they were GREAT together. Both were American and neither were extremely stellar dancers (but still really good)-I guess I just noticed the 'chemistry' they had as they danced. Was it wrong of me to be planning their wedding in my head? :)

This is when my hands are shaking
This is when the rules are breaking
This is when the music plays too loud
This is when it’s now or never
When it goes from bad to better
This is when it all makes sense somehow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a night. It sounds like it was pretty great. Are you going again?

Seattle Freeze said...

Yeah maybe but...3 hours sleep is a bit rough.
If there's a next time-I gotta remember to wear better shoes. :)