5.14.2009

At least I have a job, right?

I told you I'd actually post a blog of substance today so here goes...

Yesterday I 'expressed interest' in a position that will soon be open at my place of employment. I haven't gone into detail much about what I do or my employer so maybe I'll give you a rough detail about it:
I work for a manufacturing company that builds custom wine cellars, saunas and steam baths (yeah, I know, steam baths?). We sell/build/install every detail of our products (ie: murals, tables, racking, cooling systems, glasses, buckets/ladles, rocks, etc.). We do NOT sell wine though and ARE NOT connected to the winery with the same name...so, don't ask. ;) We've installed cellars for quite a few famous people too!

Well, right now our cooling department is blowing up (in a good way) and we actually build our own systems, do installations, repairs, etc. The manager of that department (the Sales and Service Manager) is taking a different position in the company so...I gave it some thought and took the chance.
Now, I don't have the exact experience they are looking for (but...neither did he when he started) but, since I've proven my 'worth' over the past several years, I'm being considered. And...they know I can do it.

The issue here is that my boss (and owner) whom I talked to about it, wants me to expand elsewhere into the other part of the company that they are pushing right now (which, actually, would be more my 'style') and could possibly lead to a sales/marketing/traveling position. There's a guy who already does it but they want him to have help. I'm leary about this because I don't want them to think it's ok to push me into an administrative assistant position (which would be a step down from what I'm doing right now) so...I have to make sure (when the time comes) that I'm being considered his equal and not his bitch (meaning...make your own fscking travel arrangements!).

My dilemma? There's always a lot of talk...but rarely...action. I know I've seen the Cooling department and even the Signature department (the one my boss was referring to) expand in the past year beyond what was expected but...should I be willing to wait? Again? Especially knowing that it would indefinitely be 'on hold' til the economy picked back up. I say this because...there has also been 'talk' of me getting an office for my current job (accounting) for a while but...nothing. Ok so...most of this is rhetorical and I don't know that answers would help but...again, this is my blog. :P
It could turn into nothing but...I'm excited to have let them know that I'm ready for something...more.

Anyway...as for substance-you be the judge...

4 comments:

liverfire said...

Good for you, it's about time you start showing everyone what you're made of!

Seattle Freeze said...

You mean...be a stripper, right? :P

liverfire said...

OMG, hey, if you think that's your true calling then go for it! And you'll make more money right?

Seattle Freeze said...

Hmmm...I'm thinking that's not my TRUE calling but more like undercover, audience of 1-type of thing. ;)