5.26.2009

Cut to the Chase....

I'm so clever with titles. :)
As many of you know, the banking giant, Chase, bought out Washington Mutual a while back.
Over the weekend, the acquisition was completed with the merging of the online system. So, while I hadn't had any issues with it yet, I found a major one today...and I feel the need to rant.
I expected the merge to be annoying so a few months ago, I switched my checking account to Navy Federal Credit Union because I've always heard that credit unions are more stable than banks for these reasons:

-Credit Unions generally don't get caught up in risky investments as banks or S&L's do. They look out for the interests of their members which is not usually the case with huge banks.

-Credit unions are owned by their members, while banks are owned by their shareholders. If you have an account, you're required to keep a small amount in a savings account, representing your share of ownership.

-You get to vote for the board of directors.

This doesn't mean that credit unions can't still 'go under', they can. But, it's much less likely from my understanding.

With that said, I admit that I still have a savings account through WaMu and my auto loan through Chase. Like I said, WaMu made the final switch to Chase this weekend, which means that my savings account is now a Chase account.

I logged on this morning because I pay my Chase auto account (on the 25th) from my WaMu savings account. It's not set up on auto-pay and it's a good thing it's not (based on the info I rec'd this morning) because I could have gone weeks without noticing that it wasn't paying.
I tried to make the payment transfer from Chase savings to Chase auto loan. Nada. I always get irritated when simple things take a lot longer than either anticipated or have in the past.
I had to make the call to Chase to see what was going on...it should be an easy fix, right? They should be able to just click a button and I can move on with my life... Not gonna happen...apparently.
So, the new rule is that I can't transfer from a savings account to a loan account with Chase. I'd have to open a checking account or use an external account.
My question? I was able to do it with WaMu all the time...why not now?
The answer-WaMu had different rules than Chase does. LAME!
WTF? After all the hype about how they'd try to make the merge seamless, you'd think that something this trivial could be part of that!
Fuck that! I'm not opening a Chase checking account. In fact, I'm closing my savings account altogether because the only reason I had it open was because part of my paycheck goes into it to make the car payment (I've just been putting off making it auto pay until the switchover to Chase, thinking it'd be smooth).
Now I have to set up an external account with my NFCU account (which could take days to 'verify'), transfer money from Chase savings to NFCU for the payment (which takes 4-5 business days) and then pay my car payment (which will take 2-3 days to show up).

We're here for you....my ass!

2 comments:

MGD said...

That's not good… I also have an account with them and have been waiting to see how they are totally going to fuck everything up as well.

Seattle Freeze said...

I'm positive that you won't have to be patient for very long...