5.07.2009

Today's 'WTH' moment...already.

A woman I work with told me about this today and I just have to say "wth"?!

A Salem, OR man was arrested Tuesday for putting an electric dog collar on each of his four children and shocking them.
Todd Marcum, 41, said he did it "because he thought it was funny," Salem Police Lt. Dave Okada said.
Marcum told police that he would chase the 3-year-old boy around with the collar, making him cry at the thought of being shocked. Okada said that because of the boy's behavior, it is likely that the children were shocked more than once.
Marcum was taken into custody on four charges of first-degree criminal mistreatment. He is in the Marion County jail.
"Regardless of what your kids are like, it's sure not going to cure any behavioral problems," he said. "Bottom line is, what he did was dead wrong."
And now for a little SF opinion...

Cruelty to kids, to me, is the WORST offense someone can make. Kids, generally, can't defend themselves or are afraid to because of the consequences they are feared to suffer.
Anyone, like this guy, who mistreats them should have their kids taken away (at the VERY least). Jail-time is tempting as is castration (so he can't bring any more innocents into the world to abuse) but...I know the jails are full and the other is well...controversial.

Read the whole story here.

14 comments:

plaidr said...

"Cruelty to kids, to me, is the WORST offense someone can make."

Yup, pretty damn low. But, the WORST possible? Hmmm. pretty bold statement.

(I just have to be argumentative)

Seattle Freeze said...

Ok, Mr. Contrary....what's worse?

Anonymous said...

Combine alcohol, and the year 1996 and he probably did it.

NTAC2

Seattle Freeze said...

You've sparked my interest...and I'm guessing the original NTAC would know what you're referring to?

So...plaidr? Care to share?

plaidr said...

HA! Um, probably better not. Besides, I didn't even know NTAC2 in '96 (prolly fortunate).

I'm gonna plead the fifth on this one.

Seattle Freeze said...

NTAC2-

Diamond Knot Brewery in Mukilteo
5:30 pm...tomorrow
Bring cash for beer & embarrasing tales of plaidr...I'm intrigued. ;)

plaidr said...

Wish I could be a fly on the wall for that! Should be mildly entertaining at the least.
Hell, even if you don't hear any good stories, getting NTAC2 drunk is pretty entertaining in itself!

Seattle Freeze said...

Would it be as fun as getting you drunk? ;)

MGD said...

I totally agree, to use it for punishment is one thing, but just for fun, that's to far.

Anonymous said...

actually I don't know any of NTAC1's stories, but I'm sure he has some, and he's confirmed it.

Seattle Freeze said...

CM-I expected as much from you...I'll have to check but I don't think using electric dog collars on monkeys is considered the same thing. ;)

Seattle Freeze said...

NTAC2-you lie...he's infamous, don't you know that?

MGD said...

i don't know about using on monkey's, but using it on friends who have passed out at a party sure is fun.

Seattle Freeze said...

Shoulda known...
Note to self-watch alcohol intake around CM.
I don't know why but this came to mind when I thought about you just now: http://www.little-gamers.com/comics/2009-03-18.gif