5.22.2009

a. Pill, b. Depo, c. IUD, d. None of the above.

I choose d. None of the above.
"Me? On the pill? No, I figure my boyfriend will take care of things." Sounds weird when the roles are reversed, right? But soon, women will be able to pawn off the contraceptive burdens onto their men! That's right...you read it here! Male contraception.

It has a nice ring, don't you think? It's about time that we were able to rely on our guys for more than just opening doors, lukewarm orgasms and twisting off caps from jars. Ok, you're right, touche'...I can give myself a lukewarm orgasm-I don't have to rely on a man. ;)

But...I digress. Dr. Yi-Qun Gu, MD, of the National Research Institute for Family Planning in Beijing, China, is among the researchers that are helping develop an injectable contraception for males. In this study, a guy is injected monthly with 500 mg of a formulation of testosterone undecanoate in tea seed oil for thirty months. So far, this contraception has found to be reversible and without serious short-term adverse effects on participants.

Currently, studies are being performed at 10 research locations throughout the world, including the University of Washington in Seattle. You can learn more about the study here.

I know what you guys are going to say...'what about the side effects? Health issues in correlation with taking testosterone (ultimately, a steroid)? So far...a little weight gain. Just jump on a treadmill 3 times a week, you'll be fine. :)

Have you guys ever wondered what's in the female versions of our birth control?
Progestin is in the 'pill'. Wanna hear some of the side effects?
Weight gain, nausea, breast tenderness, headaches, mood changes, and blood clots...not to mention the annoyance of having to remember actually 'taking' the pill.
The Depo shot?
Some side effects are headaches, dizziness, nervousness, some loss of scalp hair, some increase in body hair, loss of bone density and risk of osteoporosis, delayed fertility, decreased sex drive, weight gain, leg cramps, and bloating. Fun, huh?
The IUD?
This is probably the least annoying method and the most effective but the side effects can still be maddening: cramping, mood changes, acne, headaches, pelvic pain and nausea. And that's not to mention having to keep tabs on the 'string'. Sheesh!

So the next time you wonder why we're so bitchy, read these again then bring us ice cream.
Until then...ask your doctor how you can help take some of that burden from your girl without being a douche and offering the 'pull and pray' method.

Reference here.

10 comments:

MGD said...

You know guys are totally going to get on this. Then when their wives decide it's time to have a baby, they'll be like, "I don't know why we aren't getting pregnant, I guess we'll just keep to trying."

Seattle Freeze said...

Touche'
You got me...I didn't think of that. Nice!

C F'N D said...

Damn! I had no idea the Depo shot did such horrible things to the body. Fuck that. I’d take the testosterone undecanoate any day. (Once it's proven safe that is).I could use the weight anyway. And thank god it's a shot, because I could never remember to take a pill every day at the same time.

Seattle Freeze said...

Well CF'ND...you probably shouldn't say things like that out loud-you're going to have girls fighting each other to TRY to have your babies!
(or...was that part of your evil plan? and does said plan include jello shots and Vaseline? if so, we should talk.) ;)
All you other DB's-take note, this is the guy who will steal your girlfriends. :D

C F'N D said...

Oh snap! Did you just refer to me as a DB?

Seattle Freeze said...

And so modest that he can't even take a compliment!

No CF'ND, I did not call you a DB...but kudos for understanding SF lingo. ;)

C F'N D said...

T-he. I was born with it. And as for my evil plan with the jello shots and such, yeah game on.

Seattle Freeze said...

We have a winner! Ding Ding Ding!

Sara-Smile said...

SF - I like your entry. Very nice, very interesting!

One more symptom (and a very scary/dangerous one) of Depo for you and C F'N D: MAJOR Depression.

Seattle Freeze said...

As far as I know about the male contraceptive shot, depression hasn't been a side effect...yet.
But, yes, I do remember the slightly depressed feeling when I was on the Depo for a few years. But who wouldn't be when you had headaches all the time, were losing your hair at rapid rates, didn't have a sexual appetite and was gaining weight for no real reason?
....UGH!