3.03.2009

Cement shoes

No, I'm not talking about the ones that mob bosses use on unfortunate people who don't pay their debts. I'm talking about the pair I now wear at work.

In the past week or so we've done layoffs that included my boss and a coworker that was an integral part of the shipping department. And just today, my coworker and friend, gave her notice after being offered a job she couldn't turn down. Being only 1 of 2 people (of 4 a week ago) in our department now, I've now taken on some major responsibilities.

Let me say this first-I love my job. I really like the company, we have a great product and last but not least, the economy sucks!

Starting tomorrow I not only do my accounting functions here that include accounts payable but start training to be the purchasing agent. No, not just purchasing office supplies...that's lame! Purchasing does everything from lumber to sauna heaters to company vehicles to wine cabinets to nuts and bolts.

I'm excited at the new opportunities! But...I'll still be doing my main accounting duties too. It's still a little nerve-wracking though and I'll miss my friend. :(

How weird is it that a week ago I was worried about losing my job and now...I'm pretty firmly rooted in the same company?

No comments: