3.04.2009

My letter to the Senator

Recently I wrote to our Senator because I felt compelled to speak my mind about the tax stimulus bill that Obama passed. First things first, I heart Obama. I agree with almost everything he's done and plans to do. I do believe that he's already changed things for the better and will continue to do so. I also know he's spent some money but if you try to understand economics at all, it mostly makes sense.

I digress...I emailed Senator Cantwell because I wanted to vent...mostly. I don't agree with the changes in the welfare part of the stimulus package. For me, it's completely personal. For years now, I've made too much money as a single parent to qualify for Earned Income Credit, the additional tax credit or any state-funded programs for that matter. The difference between me and what seems like the majority of single parents is that I actually revel in the fact that I don't get help! I rose above the 'single mother' excuse and made a way to assure that I could provide for my child. Yes, just one child. My problem with the welfare situation (as is the problem for many people) is that it enables too many people to keep having kids they can't afford.
The tax stimulus bill adjusts these credits so that low-income households get more money back at tax time plus makes additions to the welfare programs adjusting for more food stamps. I guess my personal issue is 'what's in it for me'? Yeah, I can be petty for a minute-I've earned it. And if you're thinking 'what about the Making Work Pay credit'? You know, the one that will allow you to receive an additional 400.00 per year back in your paycheck? Here's what H&R Block has to say about that one:
"Because reduced withholding could result in a balance due on your tax return, it appears that you would, in effect, be required to pay back any excess benefit that you received during the year."
Oh...so, that doesn't exactly help me either. Figures.
So, what we have here is me-working as a single mother and supporting the likes of Nadya Suleman. Don't get me started on her...Ugh, I'm already irritated.

Anyway-here's the generic response I got from the Senator-although, I'm glad I received a response and at least it explains the reasons for the bill.

Dear Ms. Focken,
Thank you for contacting me regarding the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (H.R. 1). I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I understand that American families are struggling as the economic situation continues to deteriorate. These are extraordinarily challenging times. Bold action is needed to restore confidence in our country's economy and financial markets, and to get people back to work. The recovery bill that passed the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate is designed to provide immediate help for those struggling to weather the crisis, and to begin the long-term process of rebuilding our economy and creating needed jobs. It's a plan to provide hope and opportunity for all hardworking Americans.

As a member of the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, I continue to pursue policies that promote growth in the economy and increase standards of living for Washingtonians. We do that though turning our economy in a new direction. And we transform our economy by investing in clean energy and creating high-paying jobs in the United States to support those new industries. Our country can reduce its dependence on foreign oil, and protect American consumers from a repeat of the dramatic spike in oil prices that devastated your budgets in 2007 and 2008, if we make these investments now.

I supported the bill that passed the U.S. Congress on February 13, 2009, in part because it put a down payment on our economic transition to a clean energy future and will create tens of thousands of green jobs. The bill provides $11 billion investment in smart grid technology and infrastructure based on language I authored in the 2007 Energy bill. This money will create 73,500 jobs nationwide to make the use of our energy more efficient. This bill also extends tax credits for investments in wind and solar energy by 3 years, doubles Clean Renewable Energy Bonds (CREBs) to finance facilities that generate electricity from wind, geothermal, hydropower and other renewable energy sources, and provides a $2,500 tax credit for consumers who purchase plug-in electric vehicles.

In addition to creating a new green economy, this bill also strengthens our focus on education, health care, and infrastructure, and provides the necessary resources in these areas to ensure a strong future for our children. In Washington state alone, this bill will create or save an estimated 75,000 jobs over the next two years. In addition, more than 2.45 million workers and their families will benefit from the "Making Work Pay" tax cut of up to $1,000 per couple, and for many workers who have lost their jobs, the plan allows an additional $100 per month and an additional 33 weeks of unemployment benefits. For small businesses, the bill provides increased access to credit. The bill also will increase private capital in order to continue plans for affordable housing developments across our state.

Other important elements in the Senate-passed legislation include: an extension of existing Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) programs, giving extended income support and training benefits for workers who lose their jobs because of increased imports or factory shifts to certain countries; an additional $2.06 billion in Medicaid relief for Washington families; a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that will make college more affordable for 67,000 families; and an expansion of the Earned Income Tax and Child Tax Credits for low-income working families.

Rebuilding our economy is an ongoing process, and is not something that can be fixed overnight. It is important that as we work to craft effective economic recovery legislation we strike an appropriate balance among our nation's priorities. Please be assured that I will keep your ideas in mind as the Senate moves forward in addressing these critical issues.

Thank you so much for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Finally, I would like to keep you informed of what is happening in D.C. Every Monday, I provide a brief outline about my work in the Senate and issues of importance to Washington state. If you are interested in getting this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator


My main problem was that I wouldn't really be seeing the benefits of the bill because I don't really fit the categories. The fact that this letter didn't cater to me, as a single working mother who didn't qualify for any of the 'benefits' (as I explained in my letter to her) kind of irked me. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Also some important sites you should use to help you understand:
Recovery.gov - learn where your tax dollars are going!
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Key Provisions

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, as I was reading the Senator's letter I thought that too.I hate that when they just send a generic response. So did they even read your letter? I own a small business but it seems like it wouldn't help me much either. Your tough though, you'll be fine.

Seattle Freeze said...

They probably did read it but figured that there's nothing they can do about it anyway...so what I got was the canned response.
I know I'll be fine-I always am. :)