3.20.2009

Out of the mouths of babes...

Some of you have never had the opportunity at a personal encounter with Lex Luthor but I can tell you you'll never be able to categorize her within 'kids will be kids' in your mental file. Not that she's not a kid or that she's perfect (if you think your kid is perfect-you're deluded and need therapy) but she's ... unique.
And, yes, I could be biased but...what 9 year olds do you know that pass up watching cartoons in the morning to watch NWCN? Or canvassed to get Obama elected? Or names her hamster after the country it originates from (even though she can barely say it) and not Fluffy?

A excerpt from a recent conversation with one of my friends went like this:

Sara: So...tell me what you do after you wake up in the morning?

Lex: I get up, call my mom, sometimes I sleep a little bit longer, change my clothes, brush my hair and teeth, feed my hamster, get my cereal and turn on the TV. Then I eat my cereal, hold Syria (the hamster), play my Nintendo and watch the news (her multitasking methods came from me).

Me: Yeah, she opts to watch the news instead of the morning cartoons. She loves NWCN (Northwest Cable News).


She, then, proceeded to tell us about the upcoming weather, the names of the newscasters on NWCN with alarming accuracy, that the Sounders first game was last night and a few other random tidbits of info I didn't know.

Sure...she may only have learned recently about the life cycle of a butterfly in her 4th grade class but ask her about the tax stimulus bill-you might be surprised what she can tell you.
But other than being a bit 'different' than the other tween girls in her school, she's freakin' funny too.

Things you may not know:

-She has lovingly adopted one of my girlfriends as one of her 'peeps' and throws gang signs out to her (made up gang signs that mean 'i love you', mind you) saying "Protect and Preserve Seattle Washington-where you from?".
-Plays video games fiercely (little boys her age might have a hard time competing with her skills at Sonic Rush).
-Nixed the idea of 'dance' as an extra curricular activity and PWNS karate instead.
-Sincerely misses my friends if she hasn't seen them in a long while (even asks to make them cards for holidays that are long past and she missed seeing them on that particular holiday).
-Asked for a Seahawks jersey on her last birthday instead of whatever girls these days want (now THAT'S dedication to a struggling team).
-Has spent the past 5 summers helping my dad on his farm in Nebraska (even learned how to drive a tractor last summer) and probably knows more about cows, tractors, irrigation and agriculture in general than you or I. She's already asking when she'll be leaving this year (the weekend school's out honey!!! I'm counting the days.) ;)
-Named all of my dad's baby calves and was upset when he had to sell them (RIP Max). She even named a blind one 'Lucky' (she has a sick sense of humor like me).
-Wants to be the female lead singer in the band Nickelback (I'm hoping that she'll be able to make them a better band).
-Hates Hannah Montana and the Green Bay Packers with a passion (that I'm not sure where it stems from).
-She acts like she's too cool to accept gifts or compliments (but will talk about it FOREVER afterwards).

I also realized last night that Lex knows about S.E.X. (yes, she spells it). Well...somewhat. It hasn't really materialized as a question to me yet but we chatted last night about what SHE thought it was.
She told Sara and I that 'making out' was 2 people kissing for a long time. Ok, that's pretty accurate.
She said that 2 of her classmates got married at recess last year and then 'did it' in the big tire. Hmmm...ok, we needed an explanation. Supposedly they went into the tire and took their clothes off after a makeshift 'ceremony' using some sort of book as the Bible.
But, no, I don't think she knows the complete details of how S.E.X. works.
What I was pretty proud of, though, is that she comes from a 1 parent family, knowing full well that I wasn't married to her dad, and still assumes that the 'right' way to do things is to be married first (not that I'm going to try to enforce that but...it was just refreshing).

And after all that, she fell asleep in the car.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool kid. I wish we lived closer so I could hang out with you two more.

Seattle Freeze said...

Me too!!!!

Anonymous said...

i can't wait till she comes up here so i or brad for that matter can distort her ideas about everything!ha ha ha love you guys

Seattle Freeze said...

How can you distort her ideas? You'd have to be having premarital sex for that!?!? ;)

PS-you know me...I'm a huge advocate for sex (premarital or not)...I have a feeling you wouldn't do much damage. :)